Out with the old, in with the new, right?
1. What did you do in 2012 that
you’d never done before?
- Got a tattoo
- Visited the West Coast, twice
- Got divorced
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- Since 2011 was so miserable, my resolution was to make 2012 “my year.” It was still a bumpy ride, but I totally kicked 2012’s ass. I’m happier and healthier than I’ve ever been.
My resolutions for 2013:
- Be happy
- Be healthy
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few friends and relatives, but no one in my immediate family.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
- No new countries, but I visited California, Oregon and Washington for the first time.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
- A million dollars?
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- June 29, because of the derecho storm. That was a very harrowing 11 days for the industry in which I work.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- I experienced a lot of achievements at work. On a personal level, I guess my biggest achievement was not only surviving 2012, but actually thriving.
9. What was your biggest failure?
- Well, my marriage ended, but I refuse to look at it as a failure. I did everything I could to make it work, and it just didn’t. But I learned a lot, grew more than I ever knew was possible, and developed a much stronger faith. If anything, the divorce was liberation from many things, not just people, that were holding me back.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
- My new home.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- My mom and dad. They were so supportive of me through my separation and divorce. They never once spoke badly of my ex-husband or tried to pressure me into a decision, even though I knew what they thought I should do. They gave me the space and freedom to make my own decisions, and were there for me to fall back on in any way, every step of the way.
-Also, my dog, Waylon. She finally became an indoor dog again and has done beautifully. She’s a great housemate.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- I think the answer to this one is pretty obvious.
14. Where did most of your money go?
-Living expenses, and to the stinkin’ home appraiser, who
conveniently found “one more issue” every time she entered my house.
15. What did you get really excited about?
- My house.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
-Freaking “Gangnam Style” or whatever it’s called. Hey, you didn’t say it had to be a good song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Much happier.
– thinner or fatter? About the same.
– richer or poorer? Richer. In SO many ways.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
-With my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
- Downton Abbey.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, actually. I don’t *hate* anyone. There are a few people that I really, really dislike – and for good reason – but I don’t want to let hatred and anger control me. So, no. But there is one person, and she knows who she is, to whom karma will be paying a visit. And who am I to stand in the way of karma? ;)
24. What was the best book you read?
“Let’s Pretend This Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
- Nicki Bluhm
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
- A million dollars.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
- I’d have to say that “Lincoln” has been my favorite. I saw some pretty awful movies this year, but they were a lot of fun because of my friends.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- Celebrated with giant margaritas and a mysterious fire-burning drink at Las Trancas with Maribeth. I turned 31.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
-A million dollars. Seriously, someone needs to fix this for me.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- Eh. It was ok, I guess.
32. What kept you sane?
- My faith. My friends. My family.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- You mean besides Ryan Gosling?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- Abortion. Women’s rights.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
- Oh goodness. I met so many new people in 2012. It’s impossible to pick just one, because they’ve all been such positive additions to my life.
-With faith and support, it is totally possible to
live life with joy and light, even when circumstances are really, really tough.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.